Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Slow motion goodbye

When I first arrived to Argentina I pondered on what I could do as a part-time job. Being a doctor without the country's medical license does't give you much choice in your MD field. Since I had experience in giving classes, I decided to apply for an English language institute. I winded up giving 3 courses, one of them being Conversation Classes for Teens. It was not easy to begin, but as time passed it turned out to be an amazing experience, natural and rewarding.
The class had teenagers for the most but also one mature lady; females being the majority. Throughout the year, we saw songs and movies, newspaper articles, we spoke about psychology and subjects they wanted to talk about. I felt empowered to guide them and advise them, it was enlightening to find myself complete with being a teacher, counselor but above all a motivational speaker. They confided in me, some days we laughed the entire class, other days we cried together. A special bond had been created, one of trust, appreciation and friendship.

Yesterday was the last class. I had asked them what they felt they needed to learn, one of the girls mentioned she had gone to US some weeks ago and she had found it difficult to have a Restaurant conversation; she said interpreting menus was complicated and she lacked the vocabulary to manage the situation. I decided that would be our last class but we would also incorporate real food to our farewell.
The class ended, we had laughed, shared, exchanged contact information, I taught them about menus and parts of a meal, special keywords, everything they needed to be able to have lunch/dinner/breakfast in a restaurant. The clock struck 6:00 p.m. They didn't want to leave, neither did I. "You've been the best teacher. I loved EVERY class." one of the students said. It felt like a slow-motion part of a movie, the end.. it felt bitter but sweet, I was happy.
Being a teacher was one of the MOST rewarding experiences here. 
I am little by little letting things go.. because I have to.


"It's something unpredictable but in the end it's right, I hope you had the time of your life." -GD




-M

2 comments:

  1. love how the last class was foodie oriented! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I told my students about you and how while I was working in the hospital at 4 am you were in Bread baking class at the same time. :D

    ReplyDelete